View Single Post
Old 08-08-08, 08:05 AM
jpoRS

Bikes: Raleigh Mojave 2, Bauer B510 (soon to be fixed gear)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, maybe I should add some background.

I have been mountain biking for a few years now, but have wanted a fixed gear for the hell of it/getting around town for a bit. I bought a Bauer B510 off cl early in the summer, aiming to tinker and convert it to single speed before classes started up again. I am on a super budget, so I really don't want to sink too much money into a dead end bike like I fear the Bauer is. The first time I rode it a pedal fell off, and on further inspection the crankarm was completely stripped. It took awhile to track down a replacement that I was willing to pay for but thanks to Bike Church in Philly, I eventually got it on the road again. Now that I am riding it again, I don't think I am comfortable on the bike. Coming from a mountain bike the Bauer seems cramped and even though it is sized properly for my height, I don't feel stable when I have to stand up to climb hills.

Which brings me to where I am today. I was considering sending the Bauer back to cl, and trying to find another bike, even though I probably won't have time to convert it come September and it will likely become garage clutter. But then I saw this, and it could solve my problems. The only issue for me is the price, I am a little doubtful that it is worth $200, as that is more than half the cost of an Hour, and from what I know about Kabuki they weren't amazing, just sort of middle of the road, right?

Now that I wasted your time with all that, my real question:
Do I have a leg to stand on to haggle this down? I am in Delaware, which doesn't have the NYC markup, so would I crazy/flat our rude for offering him $100 for it?

Thanks,
jim