Old 08-09-08, 08:30 AM
himurastewie
Mainer in Exile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoxe
Well, if 100mi is a century, I figure 10 is a decade.

Mrs. Zoxe and I just got back from our first 11mi ride. The previous personal best was an 8.5mi ride last weekend.

Now, I know a lot of clydes ride more than 11mi one way to work each morning, but we've only been at it since late July and agreed early on to be a little conservative with how fast we added mileage.

This morning we left our subdivision and headed south towards a swanky golf course / country club gated community with a public bike path around the outside of it. It's nicely landscaped and at times we are pedaling between multi-million dollar homes. Makes us feel humble. But the golf course is beautiful at 7:30am, and the traffic on the roads to/from the course is pretty light. This is the same loop we did last weekend -- except we added a few miles to the end and went down a country road between corn and soybean fields before returning to our subdivision. Sorry no pics, but it was a nice quiet ride.

With all the touring talk, I just had to brag a little bit.
Congrats on your progress. My fiancee and I haven't ridden for about a week now and are itching to get back to it. On another note/rant, there's no need to feel humble amidst the McMansions that serve as "status" now. I never understood why the average "rich" person feels the need to be cramped up in an over-expensive house shoved onto as small a lot as possible with all of 5 feet of yard between themselves and the neighbor. I guess growing up in the sticks gave me a strange distaste for crammed developments with non-sensical names.

I'll stop now before I offend too many people or derail your thread.

Again, many congrats on the increased mileage! Ride safe, and have fun, that's what it's all about, right?