Old 11-11-04, 09:55 AM
trirmk

Bikes: Quattro Assi & Trek 7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remember To Chew:

Most people, when drinking fresh juice, will just drink it like a glass of water. But what you want to do is chew your vegetable juice. This does a few things including warming the juice to body temperature. In addition, the vegetable juice then mixes with your saliva which further helps your body absorb the nutrients in the juice faster.

Ideally, I prefer to leave my vegetables on the table for about an hour or so before I begin to juice. This helps bring the vegetables to room temperature. I do this because cold food shuts down digestive enzymes. This is why many feel awful after eating cold foods like ice cream. So when the food is warm, the digestive enzymes work more efficiently.
I missed this part before. This further shows my point about this lady being a quack. She's actually saying that if I drink vegetable juice (V8 for example), that by not chewing it, it's not mixing with my saliva???! How the hell does it get through my mouth and into my stomach without touching saliva if it's not chewed???! The very thought of food alone triggers the portion of our brain responsible for secreting digestive juices from the salivary glands in our mouth, but I guess she never heard of Pavlov before. And I'm sorry, but how the hell cold does she keep her vegetables??? True, cold will alter enzyme structure and function, but c'mon lady! Does she think that most of us keep our veggies in the freezer at absolute zero on a regular basis???? Give me a break.

So to recap, chew your vegetable juice because it "mixes with your saliva which further helps your body absorb the nutrients in the juice faster." Ok, no swallowing right away. Just chew. Got it. If I don't, I won't absorb the nutrients that will all end up passing through my stomach and small intestine anyway...oh oh, and I forgot that if I don't chew, the time it takes for the juice to reach the small intestine will be so short that none of the nutrients will be absorbed as quickly...and it wouldn't have warmed up to my body's temperature anyway by going through the esophagus, into the stomach, sitting there for a short time getting worked on by enzymes, then being squirted into the small intestine and nutrients being absorbed. That's all too short of a time to allow your juice to warm up to body temperature w/o chewing. (confused).

Again I say, what a crock of s*#t. lol.