Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diggy18
Maybe this goes better in the Training and Nutrition Forum, but anyways:

1) Is it true that you will burn significantly more calories riding in cold weather? (Will I have to eat more on my rides?)

2) Is it true that the body's metabolism naturally slows down and tries to make more fat as the temperature drops and daylight decreases?
I was thinking about this thread on my ride today. While it wasn't really all that cold (30's F) it was VERY windy. The wind was 20-40 MPH out of the North. I don't know if the metabolism actually changes but it usually is a LOT more work to ride in the cold. That should translate into burning more calories.

The bike and your body just don't want to go in the cold. It simply takes more effort to go. I had a horrible average speed of like 11.8 mph. It took me nearly 2 hours to go 22.xx miles on my mountain bike. Granted the wind was most of the problem, but my times slow in general when it is cold out. Subsequently, i am on the bike longer and presumeably pedalling more and burning more calories.

On top of that i am way more tired right now than normal. I ride at least that many miles every day and am usually not tired at supper time. Right now i could go to bed.