Old 08-14-08, 08:28 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
I'm trying to hook up an old Sachs 3 speed hub to replace a Sturmey Archer hub. My first problem was that the hub didn't have an indicator pin. I was hoping my Sturmey Archer pin would do the trick, but no such luck.

But yesterday I got an indicator pin of the right size from North Road Bicycle. I was very excited to find that it fit my ancient hub. Then I was saddened to see that the end of the indicator chain that connects to my shifting system does not mesh with the Sturmey Archer cable anchorage piece. So now I need to find a corresponding anchorage for the Sachs pin.

I found this part for a Brompton, but it looks so different from the old Sturmey Archer part, that I can't determine if it's the part that I need or that it even performs the same function. I need a piece that at one end will screw into the bolt at the end of the indicator chain, and at the other end will connect to a cut piece of shift cable. Does that Brompton piece fit the bill? I can't find any pictures of it in place, so I can't determine if it's actually doing what I need it to.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

That part will work fine.. it's the same as used on the Sachs.. you push it over the threads and it locks in place (no screwing needed).. you release it by pushing the lever on top..