Old 08-14-08, 07:54 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
I can count 14 single burner stoves from my chair (plus a box of home made stoves plus one or two in the garage) If I need a stove 98% of the time I take either a tragia 27 series or a optumus "svea 123 climber" As far as white gas boiling water faster? While it does boil water faster the trangia you light it and put the water on the white gas stove you have to pump it or prime it or both on some stoves in the mean time the alcohol stove (Trangia) has been heating for 2-3 minutes Also the trangia is whisper quite. I have a msr dragon fly , it is one hell of a stove but sounds like a jet engine. by the way I have not toured on a bike but have back packed and camped a lot coming up different things to cook is part of the fun for me.
Roy
I (and I guess a few others) hadn't thought of the prep time needed.

Alcohol, unpack unit, pour in fuel, light, put on pot, wait for boil.
White Gas, unpack unit, connect fuel tank, pump up pressure, prime stove, light, wait for priming flame to go down, put on wind screen, put on pot, wait for boil.

Looks to be about even time wise..... Now for morning, I guess you could do about half the prep the night before.

I'm thinking of making a cat or soda can stove some time this winter, for spring testing, to see how it does, if it works well in April, then it should do well in summer. If it doesn't work, then I can toss it without a major investment......