View Single Post
Old 08-17-08, 08:21 AM
Bionicycle
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The question you asked is best answered by your Orthopedic surgeon… having said that.

I had my left hip replaced about two years ago at the age of 45: I should have had it replaced about five years before that, but it wasn’t in the cards financially, and I was far too stubborn to have it done. As a consequence of the time delay, my hip was in far worse condition; and in fact it had completely fused, and required much more work, a bone graph, and so forth…

If your pain is getting to the point that it is effecting your day to day life, I would truly be looking hard at getting it replaced, if your doctor feels that is the only option you have left. I have never regretted getting the surgery, because the level of day to day pain is so much less now, but a hip replacement surgery is a major surgery , and should never be looked upon lightly. It will be part of your life, the rest of your life…

I had the Depuy metal on metal hip put in, with the large femoral head, because of my age, and activity level, my doctor, and I felt that would be the best choice for me. But, do some research on your own, and get an idea of what is available to you, and you will be able to make a more educated decision, with your doctor as to which replacement hip is right for you. Depuy, and Zimmer have a bunch of good information on their Web sites… there are other companies that make replacement hips as well, but Depuy, and Zimmer are the only two I could remember off the top of my head.

As far as recovery time, it varies so much from person to person, but the average is somewhere around six to eight weeks… But, I’m sure your doctor will go into far more detail about all of that with you.

Well, best of luck to you… I hope this helped you some.