Old 08-17-08, 11:14 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by peabodypride
Hi,

I know this is going to come off as incredibly uninformed, but I am wondering what it's like to move to a small town in the South. I might be moving to Franklin. I am used to typical suburban life in the Northeast and have never been to the South at all, outside of Florida.

DO TELL.

Franklin is a very nice suburb of Nashville and has a very nice LBS that sells the crap out of Orbeas. Franklin is a historic town but also home to a monster mall on I-65 for all the suburbanites. Real close to Nashville, which is HUGE.

Lots of very nice riding in Tennessee. Lots of hills, too.

I live in Huntsville, Alabama; just down I-65.

People in the South are very nice and friendly; it freaks Northerners out at first. You'll notice a lot more churches; churches everywhere. Everywhere. And football, particularly college football, is the most important thing in the world; absolutely rabid fans down here.

Don't be offended if somebody calls you honey or sugar or yes ma'am, no ma'am. Or holds the door open for you or carries heavy stuff for you

And it's hot and muggy for 7 months out of the year, nice cool mornings and warm afternoons for 3 months and about a month or so of what we call cold weather. Like it gets below freezing a few times.

edit: I hope you like fried food.

And grits. mmmmmmmm, grits.

Also, when people in the South say they are fixing to do something, it means they are about to do something. As in: I'm fixing to go to town. You need anything?