View Single Post
Old 11-14-04, 04:39 AM
Rudgey

Bikes: Rudge Sports, Robin Hood 3 speed, Hercules touring, a fleet of big black lugged city bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Raleigh built Dunelts were made in Nottingham not Birmingham, I believe, if the bike was built in Birmingham it might be much older than the components, which could have been added later?
I think Raleigh bought dunelt some time around 1960 and transfered production to Nottingham
All british companies made bikes similar to what you now call roadbikes in the 40s, 50s, 60s, like the Raleigh Clubman, Rudge Pathfinder etc, your Dunelt could be of this generation, a "clubbike," if it isn't a Raleigh built dunelt. If it has a bright, weird or ugly paint job then in probably isn't.
Raleigh did produce an entry level road bike in the 1960s, the Record, that was essentially a Raleigh Sports (3 speed) with a 10 speed set up, Simplex or Huret.
I've seen Hercules badged versions of these,so there might have been a dunelt version.

Raleigh was never owned by BSA or triumph, they either bought these brands or took them on when Raleigh merged with Phillips in the 1960s. Phillips was the big Birmingham company.