Old 08-18-08, 09:26 PM
cascade168
Klaatu barada nikto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by antchen
I'm trying to remove a 1" headset with the Park tool PT-RT1 but everytime i push the remover up the headtube, the metal part that is slitted will start to curve inwards, and then once the split ends of the tool are all the way up the headtube, they do not meet with the bearing cups because they're curved inwards. What's the deal ???
What kind of bike??? I ask because some bikes - specifically Cannondales - have head tubes that are significantly reamed at both ends to accept the cups (think integrated headsets), AND, as a result, the inside surface of the cups are pretty much in line with the inner surface of the head tube. So, what happens is that it's very easy for the legs of the "rocket" type cup removers (like the RT-1) to just slide right by the cups and they don't get punched out. Sometimes you have to just go at it with a big screwdriver and hammer. I really dislike doing this, but it is what it is. Sometimes sharpenning up the edges on the RT-1 will help do the trick. If it's a tool that's seen a lot of action, it may not work.