DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Shipht
So I've been riding for a month or so pretty frequently. However to me its not quite frequently enough. I work a 9 - 5 job and often don't have time during the week to take a 3 hour ride through the hills.

Do many of you mix running and riding? My thoughts were trying to get in a ride every-other day. But when I can't ride try and push myself through an hour long run or so.

I'm doing this for mainly a fitness perspective, and was curious if by doing this I may not be giving my legs enough time to recuperate. I know when doing weights or anything like that its best to switch upper-body to lower body. However it seems when I run I'm using very different leg muscles.
I started running during the week too, for the same reasons. It's very easy to run from work, and I can usually find a little time during the day.

Running can only help in terms of your cardiovascular system, but to get faster on the bike you'll still need some sport-specific training. But really, if you're getting out there and exercising, none of it is bad. Besides, you'd have an excuse to race a duathlon.