Old 08-19-08, 02:57 PM
Missbumble 
I'm a Cyclist!

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi Guys - This is all very confusing...I know y'all are trying to make it clear .

So I am not sure - what i think I hear is go do some intervals if I want to get better/faster/stronger as a cyclist...and it will help the weight loss as it is similar to corss training.

But what i also read here was the following from Uncle Dan...
I suppose you could say that cyclists (as a general population interested in endurance and stamina) have also swallowed the "base mileage, long slow cardio" kool-aid. While it has its place, it is not the only or the best method for weight loss.
OK - so what I am hearing from rides...and people who have lost 100 pounds..and other fitness folks...that i should go out and ride 3 hours at say 60% of my heart rate (I am 45..resting HR 64 so 60% i think is in the 140 range). So I am fixing to go buy a HR monitor and go easy on my rides ont he weekend - so I stay in that range.

I must say I would think my rolling hills where I ride an avg of 14mph...menaing 15-20 on the flats and 6-10mph onth friggin hiils...would be a better workout. I imagine my HR would jump onthe hills... or jump when I push myself alot. But this woudl be a very differnt ride - that going on a flat ride for 3 hours at a medium HR of say 140...

LBB and Uncledan and Tom - I bet you all have very different opinions. So what should I do?
My goals: #1 Lose weight and be come one hot cyclist... I have lost 32 pounds - a pound a week or so - sometimes more sometimes less since April 21...) I have about 55 pounds to go!

#2 Goal: Ride faster - it would be so awesome to be able to join ,ost group rides - even the mens ride that avgs say 17 mph... but I guess that is ways down the road as I gain experience

#3 Goal - I may even try a triathalon...but for now I am not worried about that - just goal 1 and 2.

Ok Have at it....