View Single Post
Old 08-20-08, 04:50 AM
uncadan8
Dwindling Roadie

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8 R1000, '80's Cannondale (The Beast), Diamondback Topanga Hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally agree, DnvrFox! I like to go snowboarding because it is fun. I have no goals for it, other than that it keeps me in good shape through the winter and beats riding the Vomit Comet all winter long. I set some goals for cycling, but they are more like "Keep up with my (MUCH) faster friends." Setting a goal like averaging 25.273 mph on a ride is not that important to me anymore. It just took the fun out things. That is not to say, however, that I don't try to get better on the bike all the time. I guess I just define the results a little bit differently now.

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Typical routine:

This morning - 15 laps in a 25 meter pool, 18 mile bike ride

Yesterday - Workout with weights, 35 mile bike ride

A couple of days ago - Swiim, weights, bike ride.

Etc, etc.

Goals?

I don't have any specific goals, and I don't want any. I lift weights, swim, bicycle and walk because I LIKE to do those things, and they make me feel good and make me strong, and able to do lots of things.

In the winter time, I do more walking, but continue the swimming, weight lifting, and I do more spinning classes, and ride when I can.

I think it is sad that some folks have to have a "goal" for everything. What's wrong with doing things just because you enjoy them?

I am so pleased that I started swimming last December. It has added a whole new dimension. I love to see my progress and improvement over the past few months!

Next summer I hope to be able to do an "aquabike" - a combination of bicycling and swimming. Not to compete, just to complete!