Old 05-15-02, 12:26 PM
kobyj

Bikes: Cannondale R600, Huffy 10-speed, and a Mongoose

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by a2psyklnut
I HATE runners or speed walkers that insist on doing so in the designated "BIKE LANE", yet refuse to move over when I'm approaching. I'm usually on my road bike, but I'm thinking of taking my mt. bike and hitting one of these idiots. What ever happened to common courtesey?
Are we not required to follow the same rules as cars? If that is the case, then does that not mean that those runners and walkers actually have the right-of-way and you as a biker/vehicle should yield to them?

Legally, I think if you hit one of those "idiots," you would face legal fines or in the most extreme cases, jail time. I know that if a biker hit me and was not cooperative, I would call the cops and report the biker.

When I run, I like to stay off the concrete. It is a little known fact among non-runners that asphalt is much softer than concrete and therefore will cause less injuries. Just like bikers, runners also have to worry about cars nosing over the crosswalk (I've actually ran into a few cars while running). In some cases, it is safer for us to run in the bike lane. The only difference, we (runners) should be running against traffic and therefore see you (bikers) and have a chance to move before you get close. Yes, I agree that the runners should move out of courtesy. Hopefully, you also move a little out of courtesy as well.