Old 08-22-08, 12:33 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pannierpacker
I started commuting in March. For the first 4 months, I never changed my gear, I would leave it at the highest setting. When I got to a hill I would stand up and pushing really hard and eventually climb it. It was fun and a good workout, but I noticed about a month ago that my knees were starting to get sore from it and at one point they were always sore, even when I wasnt going over hills. Since then I've started switching my gears and strive for rpms at around 60-70 a minute as I heard thats optimal for knee health. I also made sure my seat was up high enough so that my leg is straight on my down stroke.

Although the pain is less, I still feel it from time to time, and this occurs when I hardly stress my knees at all. I can ride on flat land in a very easy gear and I still feel a little sore later. It's like my knees are chronically sore now. I wish I could go back to my first few months of biking where no matter what I did to my knees they felt just fine afterwards. Did I mess up my knees for good? Am I going to have to deal with this for life now? It really sucks because I've been kinda having to limit my speed lately, for fear of hurting my knees again.
I'm not a doctor so I can't tell you about your knees. I can tell you about mine. I've had knee pain in the past and after correcting a few things on the bike it got better, but it took awhile.

The things I did off the bike were to make sure I stayed well hydrated and attempting to do a better job of giving my body what it needed nutritionally to maintain and repair itself.

It may not hurt you to bump your RPMs up a bit more into the 80 - 90 range.

You might also try taking some aspirin or ibuprofen before you ride to limit inflammation.

Good Luck!