Old 08-24-08, 07:22 AM
Live Wire 
Framebuilder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calikid2006
Haha, true. Do they literally have brass at home depot? I know this isn't the best, but will it work?

I just tried to do another dropout with the nickel silver, and no luck (tab dropout). I used flux for regular silver (which i guess isn't meant for this temperature), heated the dropout bright red hot, then melted this stuff on there and in there. I filled up the end of the seat stay with this stuff, all around the dropout insertion. Then, when it cooled i went to cold set the dropout a little bit to get it straight and it just broke right out. Didn't bond at all.

It is seeming impossible to get this stuff hot enough. I get the tubes/dopout red and it still won't get this stuff molten.

Will "regular" brass be easier? Or a better flux?
They do have it there, good for fixing shovels or wheelbarrows, that's about it. Also, the powdered flux they have is total crap compared to the good stuff. Like Mike said, get the flux from Hank- it will also work with that nickel silver.
If you heat metal to the point where you can see it turning red, you've gone way past the working temp of silver flux and it's cooked. I'm suprised you got the nickel to flow at all, but as you saw, it never bonded.