CaptainSpalding
Explorer

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream XP, Merlin Road Ti, Fisher Mt. Tam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timo888
Are these replacement elastomers for the Pantour hub obtained only from Pantour, or are they generic and readily available?
After my lengthy correspondence with Pantour, which included a phone call to Germany, they sent me their stiffer elastomer gratis, and asked me to test it in my hub, with the screws in each of the several locations, and report back with my observations. Generally I would say that the screws should be set in a position that makes the direction of movement of the hub at an angle about halfway between 45% and parallel to the head tube. This is with the adjusting screws resting against the front of the dropout. Remember that the Pantour hub has a left and right side, and that if you remove the wheel you must take care to replace it properly.

Left: A cutaway drawing of the Pantour hub shows the simple urethane blocks which can be easily fabricated by anyone with a ruler and a matte knife. Right: this drawing shows the left/right orientation of the hub.

AFAIK, you can order the elastomer from Pantour or any of its distributors. That said, the elastomers are just cut blocks of urethane, and one could easily get Shore 45 or 50 urethane bars and cut the block to size with a matte knife or razor blade.
Strida 5.0
Twenty project

— or not . . .
Fisher Mt. Tam (c.1988)
Merlin Road flat bar project
Schwinn Twinn Deluxe