View Single Post
Old 08-25-08, 12:00 AM
roodster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to be aboard

I am new to the bike world as well as new to any sort of forum on the net. I am 47 years old, happily married with two great kids. One of which is in Pittsburgh studying Architecture at Carnegie Mellon. We have a '66 Volkswagen bug that is primer gray and needs a lot of work. On the back window we proudly display the Carnegie Mellon University sticker. Thinking about the cost of education I have been tempted to have the word's " why I am driving this car...." displayed above the Carnegie sticker.

We live in beautiful Central Oregon which offers a great deal of riding opportunities. As well as many other outdoor activities like fly fishing and cross country skiing which we enjoy as well. Single track riders know that we have a great deal of trails. Oregon truly is a great place to live most especially if you enjoy the wilderness and outdoor recreation. I'm hoping biking will improve my skiing too. Zimbabwean music is also a favorite pastime. Without the arts and the search for something spriritual in this life I can't say life on this planet for myself would be tolerable. There I've said it.

Most of my working career has been spent in the trenches. Landscape irrigation trenches that is. Landscape construction and irrigation systems have kept me outdoors throughout the bulk of my working life which has kept me in relative good shape. But cardio workouts have not been a regular thing for me and that is my greatest challenge now. All in good time.

I have certainly used the internet for reasons of research, but have never taken part in any sort of discussion group or community. I am looking forward to visiting Bike Forums often and sure it will aid me in this new chapter in life as a bike commuter. It provides a wealth of info for a rookie like my self. I can't say I'm shocked, but man there are some hard core mileage makers out there I hope that with time a hundred mile ride won't be so intimidating. It sounds like a great time to join a large group to travel hundreds of miles across some beautiful country.

Well I think I said enough and taken up enough bits of space on the WWW. Looking forward to perusing the threads of the biking world.

Roodster out.

Last edited by roodster; 08-25-08 at 12:03 AM. Reason: spelling