Old 08-25-08, 08:30 AM
Big M
I am Joe's lactic acid.

Bikes: 2008 Windsor Cyclo, and some spares.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for both replies so far. I don't expect it to be easy or cheap. But I do expect it to be easier and cheaper than my other car restoration projects. I'm looking to get away from car projects, though. And the way I see it, a bike won't take up the space of a car, so I won't rush to get the damn thing done and out of my way. I'll be patient, do research, shop around, etc. I'll spread the expenses over time, so it shouldn't be so bad. Hopefully my attitude is right, if my taste may be misguided

I'm having trouble finding more in-depth info on compatibility between various brakes & levers. I'm reading that drop bar levers don't have enough pull for V-brakes and may need a travel agent. So I thought I could save a little money by sourcing drop bar brake levers off a donor bike, adding a travel agent and using second-hand bar-end shifters, since I'm sensing bar-end shifters are more widely compatible and I don't have to find a specific type. My biggest worry is matching up shifter & brake components to fit eachother and to fit the frame; nuts & bolts don't scare me, but buying stuff that's hopelessly incompatible does.

I still have research to do. Sheldon Brown's site is awesome so far. But it's hard to find more specific how-to's on the particular stuff I'm doing. I know, I know, I'm running before I can walk.

Last edited by Big M; 08-25-08 at 08:39 AM. Reason: clarification