Old 08-26-08, 10:30 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WhaleMenace
... riding around campus ... I recently moved so that I need to commute to school. Right now I am about 15 miles from campus. I bought the bike so that I would be able to drive/bike my way there, hoping to gradually decrease the needed amount of drive. Onto my question.

The bike I bought, is quite nice (i think) but has clipless pedals on it. I have absolutely no experience with these strange contraptions. I have never even worn a bike shoe. However, as it stands I have tiny clipless pedals and no shoes! This has made things quite difficult and I can only imagine what might happen if I tried to go substantial distances like this. So I was wondering, for someone who is planning on doing about 10 miles round trip to start and then increasing per day, what would be a good idea to do. My options as far as I know, are buy pedals with a platform, or platform on one side and clips on the other. Or buy some road shoes, and join the clipless party. I would like the cheapest/most future proof solution. I don't necessarily mind carting an extra pair of shoes with me if need be. Also, I have looked at shoes with cleat threading that look fairly normal, which seems like an advantage but then I think that theres probably a reason road shoes look the way they do.

Anyway thanks in advance for your thoughts, I hope that this is in the right section.
You are exactly who Performance Bike designed their "Campus Pedals" for.-http://www.perfromancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=2275&item=00-1473&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

34.95 and they are spd clipless on one side and a nice pedal for a sneaker or regular shoe on the other. I use them on my commuter and they're great.

Sometimes I ride with a cycling shoe and sometimes I don't.