View Single Post
Old 08-29-08, 01:03 PM
staehpj1 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by teacherbill View Post
I have a set of maps that I anticipate on using for a similar trip. I downloaded them as a pdf file and am going to translate that information to google maps.

http://www.greenway.org/

They have a series of google maps already configured and can be downloaded to your home computer. All of the work that I was going to do has been done.....

Bill
I don't know how suitable the East Coast Greenway is for a long bike tour, but it has an entirely different approach than the Adventure Cycling Atlantic Coast Route. The ECG connects the major cities and tries to use off road trails where it can. The AC route avoids cities and uses lightly trafficked roads where possible. The AC maps try to provide all of the info needed for finding camping or lodging along the way as well as listing all of the other services. I don't think the ECG maps do that.

Personally I wouldn't want to hit all of the major cities, but others may.

Adventure Cycling has been around a long time and really does their homework in planning bike touring routes. Their maps have been used by thousands of bike tourists to successfully cross the country or complete other long trips. Personally I would have to look long and hard at the ECG before I would pick it over the AC route.