View Single Post
Old 09-02-08, 01:34 PM
one_beatnik

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed, Citizen folding bike, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bonked! Boy do I feel stupid!

Sunday evening my family and I drove 65 miles to visit my sister in law and meet her new fiance. I planned on spending the night and riding home. The first 20 miles was a bike path around the south edge of Omaha, then a few on hiways and then more on trails through Council Bluffs. Good so far. At that point was about 40 miles. I definitely was feeling it. After another 30 miles I was gone. If I had ridden the full distance, it would have been my first century this year. I called my teen son to come get me. I finished 85. Here last week I did and 80 day, then a 90 day and then a 50 mile day pulling a loaded BOB. Yesterday was just me on the bike.

Lesson learned. EAT!! That's what it got down to. The eating places along my route were not the choicest of places. I ended up with a couple breakfast burritos/coffee in the morning, then a burger and shake at lunch. That was it. I know better than that too. I went right past one grocery store and could have stocked up on all kinds of good stuff. That was probably my most demoralizing day of biking in years. More because it was my own stupidity that caused it.