Old 09-03-08, 10:58 PM
karjak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I think there is too much bias leveled at recumbents by the U.S. and International cycling federations. They have effectively ruled them out of competing and thereby limited the exposure of 'bents and the adoption of 'bents by people all over the world.

If people tuned into international events, such as the Olympic time trials, and saw bents wiping out the upright frame bikes, to the point that no one would even be riding an upright bike in many competitions, I think you'd see a lot more recumbents in use. And they would shed the image of being only for older, out of shape riders.

I also think you'd see a lot more bent designs, far more models on the market, and even lower priced models due to higher production numbers.

But as recumbents will always win any race (at least any without a lot of climbing) where the riders are close in ability, you won't even see occasional events where they are allowed to participate/compete.
Thanks Tom

In fairness to the United States Cycling Federation (USCF) they did allow recumbents to compete in TT's with Uprights prior to 2004. International (UCI) kept them out going way back from what I understand.

I do believe that an upright equiped with Aero Bars, disc wheels and having a lightweight carbon frame can keep pace with about any designed non-faired recumbent (excluding a LowRacer or maybe a Carbent Carbon HiRacer) on a standard Time Trial with an equally fit rider. Any long Time Trial is going to favor the recumbent unless of course it is primarily a climbing circuit as you mentioned. It takes a lot of effort to keep in the drops for an extended time. The Senior games Time Trials are 5k and 10K. In my state they also have a 20k time trial rather than the 20k road race which is done at the Nationals.

I respect all viewpoints and can see the mess USCF would have trying to incorporate what design of recumbent to allow in their circuit competions. I really enjoy watching a Criterium with riders racing in close quarters ( my daughter competes) and realize it would not be the place for a recumbent. Also a road race would not be the place for a recumbent. Perhaps someday we will have enough riders on recumbents who will petition the Senior Games to be included either open or in a seperate category. There is really no reason that I can see for The Senior Olympics haveing to abide by USCF regs., but that is there own boards decision.