Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by icecycle
Hey all,

I registered here back in 05 and have been lurking for the most part. I would like to formally introduce myself; I'm icecycle. The name comes from when I used to commute in Anchorage, Alaska during the winters with my trusty Diamond Back Response Sport. I believe I got that bike back in 93 or 94 and it served me quite well for all these years. Alas, I don't have that bike anymore and have just gotten a 78 (I think) Raleigh Rampar that the LBS gave me and I decided to have them fix up for me.

I'm now living in Idaho Falls, Idaho and working my butt off to be able to move somewhere cool like Portland where I can bike pretty much year round.

I'm currently weighing in at around 250 or so and would of course like to lose a lot of weight. My love of cycling leads me to the obvious conclusion that it would best be done on the bike (as well as the kitchen). But I have some questions...

1. I went on a four hour ride today for fun and noticed that I coast alot. My commuting habit has seemingly ingrained in me a desire to get to wherever I'm going quickly. I guess that it's like alot of sprints with alot of coasting if that makes sense. Now, I know I'm not going to do four hour rides every day but would it be better to pace myself and try to pedal the whole time?

2. My knees hurt a little. I should have the seat at the proper height and my knee muscles (front) are directly above the pedal axle when crank is completely horizontal. Sometimes it helps when I move back on the saddle and also when I angle my foot outward as well. Also, when I move the pedal slightly back on my foot so the ball of my foot is slightly ahead of axle. I don't like riding like that though; it just feels better to have the ball of my foot on the pedal axle (if slightly more painful).

I should also add that I work in the produce section of a big box store. I'm on my feet all day on concrete and my legs, feet and knees do take a beating. I try to wear the most comfortable shoes I can but I think that perhaps until I really start taking the weight off that the pain will always be there.

Well anyway, there's where I'm at. I look forward to talking to you all in the future! Btw, that weight loss thread is damned inspiring!

(1) There are two schools of thought, the first, and I think this mostly comes for people who are used to driving a car, which is such a horrible experience, that they want to get it over with as quickly as possible -- speed is the most important issue, the faster the better. The other school of thought, is that the journey is as important as the destination, which is why 95% of the time I ride to the store 2km away, it takes an hour and the bike computer shows 16km, by the time I am home.

(2) If something hurts, then something is not adjusted right, or there is something wrong, most people have the seat too low, so try raising it a little, see if that helps. See if there is someone who does bike fitting in your area, and get a proper fit done.

(3) Check out some of the new steel toed shoes on the market, some are designed for all day, on your feet wear, and look like either a running or dress shoe, plus the day you drop a box on your foot, you will appreciate the protection Insoles and socks are also part of the equation, a key is keeping your feet dry, if your feet are damp at the end of the day, you want better socks, some of the outdoor stores have socks designed for hiking, that will keep your feet nice and dry..... Get enough pairs that you can use a fresh pair every day. between launderings.