Old 09-05-08, 02:39 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dschwarz
Hi all-

I'm looking for a folding bike for commuting to work. Previously I had narrowed my choices down to a Breezer Zig7 or Downtube 8H, but now that I am taking my daughter to Kindergarten every day, I realize that I'll be spending time each day on NYC MTA buses. Folders are allowed inside MTA buses, but I think that a 20" folder will be too big and clumsy to manage well.

So that leads me to 16" folders. Downtube Mini and Dahon Curve D3 are the top contenders. I'm partial to the Mini because of the 8 speed hub. Curve SL, Tikit and Brompton are out of my price range.

So let's say I get a Mini. I'm 5'5" so the bike is probably sized fine for me. I need fenders, a rack, and a waterproof trunk bag or pannier capable of holding my 15" laptop, lunch, and a change of clothes (no shoes).

Has anyone outfitted their Mini like this? if you add a rack or fenders does it interfere with the fold? Does the added bulk of these items negate any advantage in picking the Mini vs. the 8H? Any product recommendations for compatible fenders, rack, and bags?

Thanks!
Dahon 16" fenders will fit the Mini.

Your best bet for carrying a lot of stuff off your back is a seat post rack. I personally, never liked QR seat post racks since they tend to squirm about. But a screw clamp on version isn't particularly good for multimode travel. I have fit a nashbar front rack with the associated bag on the Mini. I suppose that it also means that the Nitto version would probably fit too. However, for your load, I think that the only alternative is a messenger bag or backpack.