Old 11-20-04, 07:51 AM
Laika

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
Not thinking that he was nuts, but that he would definitely still be here had he been wearing a helmet. 10 mph head first into the ground is no big deal... with a helmet. I slammed 20+ mph head first into the ground on my way to work over the summer, cracked 2 ribs when my chest hit the handle bar as I endo'ed over. Guess what. I got back up and RODE TO WORK 10 minutes late that day and then RODE BACK to my girlfriend's house for dinner with a swollen lip, couple of bruises, and road rash, then RODE BACK HOME. I looked at my helmet when I got to work and it had a nice crack right down the middle. That same week I decided even though it was summer, to tighten my straps a little so my helmet wouldn't slide back and expose my forehead in an accident. And that's exactly where I impacted. Face first, the brim of my helmet took pretty much everything for my forehead and face. Big ol' crack going right down the middle. My sunglasses had a tiny scratch on the frame, stayed on my face the whole time.

No one's saying he deserved to die. We're saying he deserves to have walked away from that accident and should've if only he had been wearing a helmet.

If you hear about a bunch of cops who bust into a crack house to arrest some gang members and one of the cops is shot two times in the chest and dies cause he wasn't wearing a vest, wouldn't you think? Oh that's a shame that the fuzz wasn't wearing a vest, he knew the situation he was getting into.

That's just reality, it's the truth, some people can handle it, some people can't.
I'm glad you recovered from your accident and that it wasn't worse than it was.

Per the cop, yeah, it would suck if that happened. But I would lay the blame squarely on the crackhead with the hand cannon.

Final thing...we're all assuming the helmet would have saved him. I'll be interested to see what actually killed him...could be a broken neck, could be he got caught under the police van and they haven't told anyone that yet. I'm assuming, given the way the media works here in NYC, that we'll see one more round of stories about this. I'm interested to see what comes of it.