Old 09-07-08, 06:15 PM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Missbumble
Nope! Hey Mr Rides... It is really my 38th Ride. Prior to buying the bike at the end of June I would ride on our Rails to Trail (Silver Comet) with the ex-beau every so often. I used to ride out and on the way back - pull over get off the bike and lay on the grass with heat exhaustion! so I bet over the past 3 years - i went on say 5 or 6 rides including a mtb bike ride (which involved hitting a tree).

So yup basically this is Ride 38. One of my motivations for going on the weekly group rides is meeting people. So if I show up - I get to meet an incredibly friendly group - and get a great ride and workout to boot! So I think that helps with the motivation. Also wanting so much to be thin and healthy/fit helps as well.

Increasing mileage is not that hard if you are relatively healthy - aerobic wise. So yes I am overweight - but I have been working out. I started back at the gym in April and since then (up until this past month) I have spent about 5 days per week at the gym doing about 40 minutes on the elliptical - that may help my endurance. But for the last month - i have not really hit the gym - just done a workout video with knee lifts, lunges, and squats daily (except on weekends) so I can give this video a chance and work on my arms and legs so I can look like a fine Bee! So if you ride 40 miles - riding 50 or even 45 perhaps is not that much of an increase. I drink a ton of water on the ride. It really is about how much time you want to spend on the bike. Me - I want to ride - long. My friend has decided we will be doing a century at Bragfest (Bike Ride Across GA) weekend. We are riding in GA not across - but part of the weekend on Sat we will do a century. Wish me luck. Cause that does seem very daunting. So I guess increase a bit each week perhaps (with the caveat that it has to feel good on your body - or at least afterwards so you are safe and healthy).

Maybe we need a Mr. Ride Ride Report 1,2,3 and by 38 (or perhaps a lot sooner) you will be going on a Metric Century and at a lot faster than my Bee pace!

OK - Have fun!

PS Check out my speed though. I am a slow rider. I go slow and steady - a 14 avg means I am at 13-20 ish ont he trail most of the time and hills are 5 (tough hill) to 9.... So sometimes I try and ride full out especially if a hot guy passes me. I try to catch him and draft him. Other times I am trying to forget about the pain in my foot and ride on (usually after 4+ hours on the bike.
Don't you think the riding with the group is a big help? I started riding the end of May and I really started adding the miles when I started riding with the bike club on Saturday mornings. The first ride nearly killed me but after the fourth ride I felt so strong I could have done another 100yds