Old 11-20-04, 01:38 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
In 1998, my youngest son (then 31yo) fell and broke his L6, resulting in paralysis in both legs.

He was in a cast 12 weeks, and we found out he had severe osteoporosis.

A major portion of his therapy was water therapy, along with bio feedback and more traditional physical therapy, and some very expensive mechanical bracing and stretching devices. His MD's said he would never walk.

It took 2 years plus of daily therapy by me and others, but he walked again, and would have full use of both legs except for some contractures developed due to the negligence of his in-hospital treatment, which did not do enough and appropriate stretching. So he has full use of right leg, and about 90% on left leg, but he is STILL improving. He is developmentally disabled, and rode a 3 wheeler before the injury. A portion of his therapy was learning again how to pedal the 3 wheeler.

The osteoporosis was treated with Fosamax.

My points:

1. The human body has amazing recuperative powers.

2. It takes time and lots of hard work.

3. An EXCELLENT physical therapist is essential, and PT's DO vary in their skill, approach and knowledge.

4. Be careful of contractures, they are devastating, and "stretching" in this sense is a rather complex task, requiring a good knowledge on the part of the PT of the physical reactions of muscles, tendond and ligaments to the stretching process. You can stretch too much, which is just as harmful as not stretching enough.

Good luck. I know you will get back to full function.