Old 09-09-08, 12:02 AM
Thumdar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Goal: 500lms | Budget: $100 | Use: Pleasure/Training | Knwldge: Newbie

I've been riding bikes most of my 40 years and have recently purchased a Trek 7300 to help get back in shape. The idea of riding at night strongly appeals to me as it's cooler down here in Florida when the sun goes down. Oh ~ also, the thought of riding at night sounds like a blast!

I've been pricing different lighting systems and have learned that to buy off the shelf, it's going to cost me AT LEAST twice what I want to spend ($100). Also, I'm very much interested in building my own system.

After reading different websites/forum posts, it seems I'm looking for a rechargeable battery system, and this is what I would prefer. The problem is, I am an electronics newbie with basic soldering skills. I've seen some really well laid out schematics of how to do the electronics for the system, but this is where I get lost. Quite frankly ~ I don't know how any of it works (but am a fast learner).

It's clear there are some very experienced bike lighting gurus within this site. So.., what are your thoughts on how I might build a $100, highly efficient, streamlined, rechargeable lighting system that truly kicks ass that's needed to be built by an electronics newb?

Regarding the 500 lumens: I've read a zillion threads and understand some think this is excessive while others see it as the minimum. Maybe I could do with 300 or maybe I'm better off with 600. I'd prefer a higher amount.

Should I go Gilligan's Island bamboo? Power outlet fixture? PVC pipe basics? It seems the two lamp configuration is the best. As long as it's efficient, not-so-bulky and powerful, I'm happy.

All thoughts greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Thumdar; 09-09-08 at 12:21 AM.