Thread: Bike on plane?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-04, 09:51 AM
ajkloss42
The 'net ruined cycling

Bikes: Steelman Eurocross, Peugeot U08 fixie, Specialized Expidition, Raleigh Sprite 27, Serotta CDA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've flown with my Steelman Eurocross for two round trips. From Minneapolis to Seattle and back, and from Minneapolis to Las Vegas and back. I used the same AirCaddy cardboard box both times and was very successful with no visual damage whatsoever. I didn't get to watch the TSA inspect it but, as I recall, of the four flights it was on, the box was only opened once. The AirCaddy box is definitely oversize (nearly five feet long) so they definitely charge you. Most airlines change $100 each way for oversize sporting goods like bikes, but some are cheaper. Sun Country out of Minneapolis only changes $45 each way, and America West and Frontier will waive the fees for League of American Bicyclists members. I flew to Seattle on Sun Country and to Vegas on America West. Both airlines were fine with it, but expect some delay at checkin. Going abroad may be more difficult though, especially to someplace like Bermuda. If the final leg of your flight is on a turbo-prop plane they usually have a pretty strict baggage size requirement. I've flown to the Caribbean a bunch of times and oversize baggage is definitely a problem if you have to fly through San Juan. You're better off getting a flight to Miami or Atlanta and then direct on a jet from there. For a two week trip, you may want to consider renting instead. A shop on St. Croix, USVI, has rented me a Felt 65 for $100 a week, which is less than the fees to bring my bike down would have been.