View Single Post
Old 09-12-08, 02:19 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by SingleSpeeDemon
Despite the fact that many fixed gear riders have jumped on the chopped riser handlebar wagon, there is a practical application to having narrow bars. In the case of city riding; dodging buses and cabs, splitting lanes of gridlock, the narrow bars allow a rider to squeeze into spaces where wider bars would cause clearance issues. There is a common notion on this board that since the rider's hips and shoulders are usually wider than the chopped handlebar, then it renders the whole purpose of riding with such a narrow bar a moot point.

In reality, imagine trying to squeeze through a narrow gap on a bicycle. If you are able to steer through it and keep the front wheel straight, you should be able to make it unless there is simply no room to fit. In practice, the rider can dip a shoulder, pivot on the seat and contort the body to help facilitate clearance. If your hip or shoulder bumps into an object while tracking straight, it should have little bearing on your velocity. However, if the handlebar contacts an object, it will undoubtedly pivot the wheel causing an undesirable change in direction.

For climbing purposes, the lack of leverage is apparent, but then it is just like all things when riding a fixed gear bike on the road; everything becomes a bit of a compromise.

I keep myself OUT of those situation. If I see a spot that I might not fit thru I simply dont go thru it I find another way around or just wait. So to me, TO ME! those cut down bars are really f'n stupid. Ive seen like a zillion guys/girls with straight bars so cut down that only one hand fits on either side get themselves caught up between two vehicles! Then they get pissed at the cager! I see the use in Polo bikes but thats about it. MHO! you know you dont have to agree
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve