Thread: Fixies anyone?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-02, 09:43 AM
bikeman
Lovin' my Fixie

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, C-Dale MT1000, 80's Trek 770, 2005 Raleigh Rush Hour Pro, Fixed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by MichaelW
Im not sure that mashing big gears is the point of riding fixies. You should be practicing that fluid fast spin.
I agree there. The fluid motion of a good spin will go farther for you than pushing a big gear and getting aching knees. Choice is yours of course. Some people just like pushing harder than others.

I run a 80's vintage steel Trek that I stripped except for the front brake and I've played around a bit with the gears. I finally settled on a 39T front ring and alternated between a 16T & 17T rear. I have to do a lot of stops and starts in traffic and side street stop signs on my commute (I try to be good and not run the stop signs and red lights - makes for bad attitude amongst cars seeing you do that, but that's another topic). I found being close to the recommended 2:1 ratio seems to works for me. I can get spun out with a tailwind or slight downhill, but that doesn't happen often. I guess I'll continue to mess around with my gears since I've only been doing this a couple of years. I definately think it has made me a smoother rider and that was my goal.

The rear hub is not flip-flop, but is 70's vintage Campy Record with a locking ring on the cog. The front ring is old-school Shimano Ultegra. I have horizontal dropouts can get the chain quite snug with adjusting the spacing so I don't need any chain tension devices. So far I love to ride a fixie. My friends don't understand the fascination. Too bad for them.