making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddDav
I am 6'5" and 240-250lbs. Currently riding a Bianchi Volpe. I have a hand built wheel on the back with a 32h dyad rim and 'regular' (2mm?) spokes. It is built on the stock Tiagra hub that came with the bike. I have about 200+ miles on the wheel and I have broken 2 spokes in the last three days. I was riding a Metric over the weekend when the first one popped and the 2nd one went today on the way home from work. I am seriously bummed out.

Anyone have advice on what I should be asking for when I bring the wheel back to the shop that built it. They have a good reputation around town and have been pretty good for me so far, but it seems like they should have steered me toward something stronger. Maybe a higher spoke count and some thicker spokes? I am not sure. What would y'all recommend for a big rider who puts about 100 miles a week on a bike?
I have been going thru this all summer. I lost 40 lbs or so before I started busting spokes. I busted probably 10 this summer and just this week bought a new wheel. It got to where I could not make a round trip to work without busting a spoke. Have it rebuilt.