Old 09-16-08, 07:23 PM
No I'm Not a Pirate!
Bionicycle's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The middle of somewhere in Indiana
Posts: 696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
I've seen a few of these frames before. With the single top tube are they a true Mixte? If not what are they?
I think people still call them a Mixte, which as I understand it is a English corruption of a French word basically meaning unisex, or either sex… so in many ways every bike is a Mixte if you really want to get technical about it. But, not everyone agrees on the same meaning of the word.

But, the main physical attribute that defines a Classic Mixte frame is the twin top tubes that go from the head tube, at an angle, or with a slight curve; past the seat tube, thusly creating the Mixte Stays, that continue to the drop outs.

I have read on this forum, where some people have called the Mixtes with a single top tube, “Faux Mixtes”, or “Near Mixtes”, but since they have the Mixte Seat Stays, and are a Unisex bike, I would just call them a Mixte, but maybe not a Classic Mixte.

Oh well, just call it whatever you want, it won’t care… Either way, they are still nice bikes.
Bionicycle is offline