Old 09-17-08, 09:33 AM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by neilfein
It depends on how fine or coarse the gravel is. I rode a long tour, half of it on gravel, on touring tires with little tread. The last day was 100+ miles. I wouldn't do that if the gravel were very course, though.
Ironically I know the roads, or at least most of them, very well due to my work for the county during severe weather. They range anywhere from being fine gravel that's almost like pavement, to big chunks of rock (the newest thing the county is doing, I *love* it...not), to dirt roads to absolutely quicksand-like deep gravel. It's going to be interesting, definitely, but I've ridden all those conditions on that bike before. Only thing that really has me nervous is the tires, the rear in particular, as it's got about no tread left with the casing getting pretty thin, and that's just achin' for a breakin'. The Schwalbes I hear nothing but extreme praise for in those conditions, and in winter, which is why I just picked them up. Here's hoping that Unviersal delivers on the promise that they'll be here by Friday (aka I REALLY should have just paid the extra $10 to have my LBS order them..).

I should also note that I'm pulling off the fenders (again), as the worst thing in the world is mud-caked fenders.