Old 09-18-08, 01:07 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
After several years Of night riding offroad- I was of the opinion that you cannot have too strong a light. Couldn't afford them but got a Front lamp with 2x 5w luxion LED's and it was just about good enough for the fast descents.(You can only go as fast as your lights will allow and I reckon that 35mph was fast enough on the lumpy downhills)

However- On the road- You can have too strong a light. To be able to see - you have to have the lamp adjusted right. It has to point far enough in front for you to be able to see for the speed you are going at. My LED lamp has 3 power settings. low- good and WOW. On the high setting I could not see a thing due to the cars putting their lamps on full beam. So I ride on Low or middle power. Till I get to the Mup and then I get complaints about the high power being too bright from the peds- But at least I can see them.

Now on rear lights- I use two as one can fail so two gives a bit of security. One is a powerfull one and is street legal with side and rear reflectors. The other is just a basic one that has power but not legal. However- I have been told by riders behind me that the lamps are a bit too powerfull if you are following them.

So although the Dinotte may be a powerfull rear lamp- Is it too powerfull for the people behind you?

My own feeling is that I want to be seen and have to agree that the better the rear lamp- the safer you will be. But at the same time- I do not want to upset the car drivers behind me that may take exception to being blinded.

Spike Milligan