Old 09-19-08, 01:08 AM
Ken Cox
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Call John Dace at www.businesscycles.com and ask him when he expects to get another order of Stronglight 130 bcd cranks:

http://www.businesscycles.com/tcr-stronglight.htm

I think I paid less than $150 for mine.

Nothing lighter or stronger, and, a single-ring track crank, they'll take any road bike 130 bcd chainring.

A 39t inner ring from a double looks and acts just like a track ring.
With a 14t cog this will give the rider 73 gear inches (a good all around ratio); and with a 13t cog a very speedy 79 gear inches.

With a 3/32 chain...very, very light.

Myself, I ride with a 39t ring and a 17t cog for 60 gear inches, which means easily riding brakeless without skidding or skipping (saves tires), and accelerating like a whippet (not to mention climbing like a bat).

After a year of this I spin at fantastic rates I never imagined possible, and it gets easier to spin this fast the more I ride at this low a ratio.

I've ridden 54 gear inches to 82 gear inches, and I consider 72 gear inches the best balance for most riders in most localities.

However, now that I've learned to really spin, I think I'll stick with 60 or 63 gear inches forever.

Anyway, give John Dace a call and talk to him about Stronglight cranks for the street.