Istanbul_Tea
X-Large Member

Bikes: 2004 Rivendell Atlantis, 2004 Thorn eXp, 2004 Bob Brown Cycles Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I think that sometimes the whole exceeds the sum of it's parts. Ever watch a really "clicking" athletic team? They will almost always beat a team composed of individually superior players who, for whatever reason, just don't have it. If you don't believe me, ask the US Olympic basketball coach.

I think that bikes are the same way. When they're done right, every part works in concert with every other part and, if you change anything at all, you'll probably have to change everything on the bike to bring the Yin and the Yang back into balance. I've got some reasonably nice personal bikes. A couple of them have it and a couple don't. Incidentally, my most expensive bike happens to be a don't.

Now you can certainly buy an old steel frame, mess with the rear triangle and put together a bike that the left side of your brain tells you has all of the features of a modern Rivendel bike. I doubt it will compare favorably with a bicycle that starts with seat tube, top tube and head tube lengths and angles that were designed to match your style of riding. That's the real difference between a $500.00 bike and a $2,000.00 bike. A few people get it, most people don't. That's why Walmart does so well.
Great points, all.

For some bizarre reason a lot of cyclists think the Rivendell "Philosophy" (for want of a better word) is akin to, "Hey, I put a Brooks saddle on my ______(insert brand name here) it's just like a Rivendell" or finding some rusted out clap-trap of a frame and putting Ruffy Tuffy's on it.

Aspects of that are-perhaps-part of the ideal but they miss the mark. For me, if there is a Philosophy per se it's...

Practical
Long Lasting
Proven
Tasteful
Geometry that reflects "People" not "Elite Athletes"

And to those keywords materials like steel, leather, cotton, wool & duck canvas fall into place as well as the use of lugs.