Old 05-21-02, 09:03 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, i'm an XC rider... i do some pretty technical stuff in clipless and feel way more secure clipped in b/c i can bunnyhop and jump better and move the bike sideway and all... (i also admit i can't BMX-style bunnyhop w/o getting lift from my legs from my clipless pedals -- i think this i a technique thing but i never learned the BMX style...)

there is a new style developing that is more BMX-like with riders using platforms or combo pedals. as i see it this is mostly for doing big jumps and being able to land --- or if you do a 'no-feet' or 'foot-crossover' skateboard-like stunt while in the air you obviosuly can't clip back in before you land... as i see it this is more for doing tricks, particularly big jumps... or maybe super-wicked downhills where your likelihood of crashing is very high and you need to be able to do a diving bail at 45mph or something... or maybe i'm just too old at 31...

there are also guys who i see in say 'Cranked' videos using platforms for major downhills to pull a foot out in a corner...

then for trials many guys don't use clipless i guess to get out quickly... but i don't know much about trials.

but almost all serious XC riders and racers i see use clipless. and for almost all XC i would strongly recommend clipless, for efficiency, lightweight and it helps me in the technical stuff.

if the problem is learing technique, then that's another issue... you just have to practice and you can get out of pedals super-fast anytime...

if you're planning on doing XC i would get normal clipless and just learn. if you're planning on doing more downhill or BMX-stlye tricks or trials i would go platform/clipless... but then again i guess the only disadvantage to the combo is the extra weight which probably won't matter much unless you're racing XC... (i use Speedplay FROGS -- lightweight, self-cleaning, 20degrees float - i love em)