Old 09-20-08, 06:02 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug5150
I think your rims are rather narrow for those tires.
If you want to run fat tires, it's better to use the widest rims you can get.
Your rims will work, but if you had wider rims, you could run lower pressures (which would absorb bumps better) but the tires would still handle well.

For a <200 lb adult, fat tires shouldn't need to be inflated much beyond 30 psi, if even that much.
I weigh ~270 and built a motorized bike that weighs ~100 lbs. The wheels are steel Worksmans (cruiser-style rims, about 30mm inside width). The tires are 2.125 Kendas, and the pressures are still only 25/40 PSI front/rear.

-----

The Fat Franks are a nearly-perfect tire.
I just wish Schwalbe would sell them without the printed logo and reflex strips, for those of us wanting to build retro-style bikes.
As it is, if you want them naked you gotta sand the unwanted printing off with a flap-wheel. :|
~
Ah, I've got to start playing with the pressures more. My previous 2.35s, the Kenda Small Block Eights from the John Tomac series, I ran at 40psi, and sometimes a bit less. I wanted to see if this tire would roll faster.