View Single Post
Old 09-20-08, 11:46 PM
silent ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've worked on several bikes over the past 6 months with the 333 hubs and so far, no issues. My wife rides one of them every work day. I also have a Raleigh 3-speed with the SA hub, so I have a good basis for comparison. So far, I've found that you simply have to add some lightweight oil to the 333 occasionally and they work very well. I use 3-in-1 Motor Oil. It's a 20 weight oil, which is perfect for either the 333's or SA's. On the 333's, you also have to have the adjuster in the bell housing set so that the "N" in centered in the view port and then the gears shift very nicely. On my wife's bike, she has the Shimano twist shifter. I took it apart initially, cleaned it up and added some grease. It's been shifting effortless ever since. I've also worked on a couple of their thumb shifters. They are OK, but not as good as the SA thumb shifter.

With all that nice stuff being said, I do have some concerns however. One - there isn't much technical info available that I've found on the inner workings of the 333 hub. I wouldn't take one apart without a diagram of the parts or some info on steps to do it. That is bad, compared to the info available for the various SA hubs. Two - Finding spare parts for the 333 hub is mission impossible, even if you know how to take apart and re-assemble. Three - I don't have real high opinions of any 3 speed hub with a built in coaster brake. My Raleigh has one and I dread the day if that coaster brake freezes up, like all the literature indicates can happen. I even have a back up SA hub (an AW), that I took apart, cleaned up and put back together. I don't have any specific info on the 333 coaster brake version, but I'd be learly about it. I would much rather have just the 3 speed hub w/o built in coaster brakes.

Hope this gives you some ideas.