View Single Post
Old 09-21-08, 01:02 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
After SWMBO got her blingy Reach Offroad, she cast off her Yeah like a poor-fitting bra. Expecting this reaction I stepped in smoothly and confiscated the yeah and treated it to some new bits.

It had a Thudbuster seatpost, a standard 31.6mm size mounted in an adapter I made. This adapter bust one day as I rode through a deep pothole; luckily it didn't result in me thudding against the gravel. I already had a 35mm tube with the right inner diameter; so this became a new adapter, longer and stronger this time. A new shim had to be made as the original seatpost is only 34mm. It all works great now.

I installed 2 M5 rivnuts in cleverly selected spots for a water bottle cage, after discovering we had rivnuts and the riveting tool at work.

The drive train was upgraded with XT rear derailer, only the best for me. The cranks were replaced by a Schlumpf Speed Drive (thanks Bruce). It now sports a 510% gear range, same as a mountain bike.

Being a quick compact folder, it became my commuter of the day, especially since I occasionally take the train. A standard Topeak rack was mounted for my matching Topeak MTX trunk rack. I can also hang my panniers with no heel strike.

The bar ends and luggage rack do not interfere with folding, even if I have the trunk rack mounted. Very convenient for commuting - just fold and go.