Old 09-22-08, 02:35 PM
Judoka

Bikes: FELT Z35, GIANT AXT 760

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Triple vs compact - input please

If this question has been asked OR the topic is redundant, I apologize. Just picked up my first road bike on Fri - Felt Z35 with a compact crank. I've been a mountain biking guy for 15 years and have always had triple (27 speed) cranks. So far so good, but my only concern is the climbing that i anticipate. I noticed on my first two rides going up-hill that I seem to be running out of gears as I try to get lower and lower on the gears and climb harder and harder. I really didn't give it much thought since all the pros and LBS owners etc advised that the compact offers basically the same level of gears as a triple with less work and weight. Do all of you honest folks, is that so? Will I still get the same allowance and ease as I start to climb or am I going to be working harder given less gears (i.e. - NO Granny gears - which I didn't use much, but liked them when I did need them).

Input please. I am getting a bit panicked to start my climbs if I will be on the lowest gear and panting - searching for another few! Don't want to get discouraged.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Joey