Old 09-23-08, 03:25 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
I was mainly referring to the very low frame on the Redline, which is common on mountain bikes, but requires excessive seat extension for normal riding. Being available in various sizes would help a lot.

One thing also, I don't think the Sovereign is especially intended as a utility bike, just a generic riding bike. Don't know if that makes any difference on the strength or the doohickeys attached to it.
Welcome to the new world of compact frame sizing! Even the high end bike companies are doing it. They use a sloping top tube to allow more people to ride a similar sized frame. Instead of making 8 or more frame sizes they now make 4. AFAIK WM carries one size, depending on the bike it will vary from 19" to 21". I ride 25.5" so no matter what I get, it most likely will have some extra seat post sticking out. I have a couple of WM MTB's that I hauled out of the trash for recycling purposes The welds are pretty crappy compared to the Redline.

Aaron

Here is a picture of my Redline it is the XL frame size. FWIW my seat top to pedal extension measurement is over 37"

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon