View Single Post
Old 09-24-08, 09:21 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I rode Mountain bikes for 16 years- mainly offroad but the odd occasional metric or 100 miler on the road. Change to slicks for the road and flip the stem to get more aerodynamic were the only changes. Never thought I would need a road bike but 2 1/2 years ago got one to see what the Dark Side was all about. It took a while but within a year I was buying a good road bike.(6 months later got a second Good road bike aswell)

So There I was a cyclist getting on the black stuff a bit seriously. Once I had settled into the different types of riding- These road bikes were good. The ride position on the top of the bars was not that different to the MTB- on the hoods was good and used when Pushing on a bit and if I encountered headwinds or leading other riders- the drop position was great. I enjoyed that road bike so much that I even thought about selling the MTB. It sat in the shed for a year without turning a wheel- but I did eventually realise that both types of riding are enjoyable.

So I do two different types of riding on around 6 bikes- 3 road- 2 mtb and the offroad Tandem. If I am offroad it has to be the mountain bikes or Tandem. But for road rides- The Road bikes now have to be used. None of this keeping the slicks on the 26" wheels for when they are required. I have bikes for their use and they do not interchange.

And this may be the problem I have with a hybrid. They will not go on my offroad trails and they would not be as effective as a Road bike on the black stuff.

So just a suggestion- Beg, borrow or buy a cheap S/H road bike and try it for 6 months. Then you might see what riding with your head between your knees is all about.

Spike Milligan