View Single Post
Old 09-25-08, 06:12 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I'm biked out.

Did another 36 miles today on the Great River Trail in Wisconsin. It was a great ride, up to the Trempealeau National Wildlife Refuge. I've been there before but it was particularly nice now, being that it is the start of the migratory season. Hundreds upon hundreds of birds out on the Mississippi River and it's backchannel wetlands. Pelicans, geese, cranes, egrets, herons, dozens of varieties of ducks, red-winged blackbirds were flocking (yikes, winter must be coming!), plovers, and much more. Spotted three bald eagles later in the ride.

This makes 153 miles ridden in 5 days. I know people do more than this in a few hours, but it is more than I have ever ridden before. Including some stops made while sitting in the big, easy seat, I've put about 16 hours in the bent's "saddle." I'm sore in many places - my feet ache, my rear aches, I've got sore spots in sensitive places, but overall it does feel good.

So while I had planned to ride again tomorrow, I think I'll skip it. Take some walks instead. My motel room overlooks the Mississippi River and one of the locks on it. I can even see the river while lying in bed. I sat on my deck this morning watching the fog rise off of the water. I'm watching the sun set over the Mississippi as I type this. With my spotting scope set up next to me, so I zoom in on any interesting bird or sight. Life is good.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 09-25-08 at 06:50 PM.