View Single Post
Old 09-28-08, 10:45 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
This same issue came up on another thread. Yes the frame is a 130 spacing with disc brake mounts. But being aluminium means that you really do NOT want to flex it far enough to get the 135 MTB hubs to fit. Neither is it recomended by anyone that you cold set an aluminium frame like you can with steel. "Cold setting" is actually just carefully bending the metal.

If you have the frame already the only option to go with disc is to try to find one of the apparently rare 130mm disc road hubs. I've never seen any myself but I 've never looked either. Or modify the MTB axles and cone setup to reduce the dimension between the axle nuts to fit. This will alter the brake side distance between the axle nut and the disc seating away from the ISO standard so you'll want to use a brake system that has the ISO to Hayes style adapter such as Hayes brakes, Avid BB series or some of the Shimano brakes. Some machining to the adapter may be required as they are not normally called on to be THAT adjustable.

All in all I have to wonder what the hell the frame designers were smoking when they set it up for a 130 mm spacing.

Like I said, "not the best situation."