View Single Post
Old 09-29-08, 09:07 AM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I try not to complain about grammar, etc, I'm going to do it here because the failure to break the story into multiple paragraphs caused me to skip what was actually a good story.

I initially brought this post up on my computer screen, started reading, saw that big monolithic paragraph, and skipped the whole thing. I then saw that Operator had noticed and commented on the problem that made me give up.

People, for some reason, just don't like to read one gigantic paragraph. It doesn't take much time to break it up. You actually have a good story to tell with a nice point. I would have skipped the whole thing if I hadn't read Operator's post. Other things like proofreading and capitalization would have made it even more pleasant to read.

Here's formatting that makes it easier on the brain:

-------------------

I first started riding at age 5 and had the same bike untill age 14. i got it for christmas, and it was a "st" bmx 20" bike with mag wheels. i rode this bike everywhere, all the time everyday. yeah, i was that kid. changed tires on it so many times i lost count through out the years, but never really worked on it.

One day when i was 14, the bottom bracket began to get loose. i tightenned it up and added grease, but it kept getting worse (1pc crnks). so i took it to the LBS to get it fixed and a day later he called saying my bike was "dead on arrival", and to basicly chaulk it up. so after getting rid of it, i got a roadmaster 10speed and rode the heck out of that.

All the while, i began how to work on my bike more and more untill after long, realized that with just a new set of bearings and perhaps new hardware, i could have saved my first bike, and even if i never rode it again, i would still have it to just say, "yeah, thats my first bike." i understand that the LBS may have not thought it worth their time or my money to put a new set of bearings in my trusted steade, but it would have to me.

My point, if you don't allready, get to know how your bike works and learn about it, service it oncwe you've learned how to. just a pair of bearings woulda got my bike on the road instead of sending it to the junkyard. and its sad how many salvagable, rebuildable or perfectly ok bikes end up there.

Thanks for listening to me, and for all of those who had their first bike or trusted steade prematurally scrapped, thats why i learned. thanks.

Last edited by TromboneAl; 09-29-08 at 09:12 AM.