Old 09-30-08, 06:11 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NeezyDeezy
Would you mind forwarding me those answers too bmike? I'm interested in the same questions for a build I want to decide on.
Slightly modified from the PM - but here you go:

Longest Ride:
197 miles in one go, through the ADKs.
Ride report here.

(I'm hoping for a 1200k in 09)

Other bars / etc:
I debated using OnOne Midge bars with bar ends... and its something I might still try - whenever / if my Campy Ergo levers ever break or need repair. I've tried moustache bars on my FG bike... I don't really like them - can't get comfortable after weeks of screwing around.

Tires:
I've not mounted cross tires - but I did mount up some Pasela 32s for some dirt road riding. I'm happier with the way my 28 conti's ride, even on the dirt. If I was doing more gravel and single track I'd probably want wider tires. I just put my fenders back on - so maybe next time I swap things around I'll mount up some cross tires.

The limit I have is with my brakes... the Shimano 57mm long reach limit what I can do with tires / frame clearance. Had I to do it over I would consider getting a Tektro Extra Long reach or going to a Paul Canti or centerpull set up. I debated it quite a bit when I built the bike and decided for ease of use to go with the long reach calipers. If I ever need to rebuild wheels I might consider moving to 650b and putting on longer brakes... would give me more clearance.

Moots makes some nice bikes... I considered them as well - but I used to live in S. VT and I was in Boston all the time for work - so IF was 'local' - and my favorite shop was a dealer for IF - so they handled all the paperwork and I handled all the details direct with Matt and Joe.

If you're friend wants a real all-rounder I'd consider options for larger tires - so canti's or extra long reach brakes if he wants to run fenders. I'd also do-it all over with a Rohloff and horizontal drops. I like the 10 spd I'm running - but an internal geared hub would let me switch to a FG and back pretty nicely... and no derailers!

And I wrote about my process with IF and decisions here.