DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CastIron, he asked about the FD.

SAKOD, don't jack with the limit screws unless you know what you're doing. If you want to find out, read through the whole procedure that CastIron linked to. FDs can be a pain to get right and the success of the whole operation depends on the first few steps. I try to leave the FD alone unless I have to change out the cable.

Otoh, I find that it's not unusual to have a shop set up the FD in a ... less than optimal manner.

If you're having a specific problem, ask in the Bicycle Mechanics forum. (It's not just for mechanics.) But since you provided good info and specific question, I'll try to answer here.

When in the lowest gears the chain rubs against inner cage.
Note what the setup procedure says about setting the lower limit screw. With no tension on the cable, chain in lowest gear, adjust the lower limit screw so there is about 1mm clearance between the chain and the inner cage. The screw should never need to be adjusted thereafter.

So either the initial setup was wrong, or the cage isn't moving over as far as it should when you shift down to the little ring. Have you (or anyone else) used the barrel adjuster on the down tube? Possibly to counteract another symptom?

Do you have to use the trim feature when in the middle ring and shifting between high and low rear gears?

- Will Rogers

Last edited by DMF; 09-30-08 at 01:10 PM.